Shipton Gorge Parish Council

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

St Martin's Bells

church_bells

(Contact: Linda Buck 01308 898278)

The tower now houses six bells; one is dated 1655. Recent history of the bells:- the tower, belfry and bells were restored and a treble added in 1911 at a cost of £189.19s.3d which was subscribed publicly and included the following generous gifts:-

Rev. W. Roper M.A.Ox, LRCP, LRCS Edin £105
The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Ilchester £25

In 1995 a most generous gift was received specifically for the addition of two light bells. These were cast by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in early summer 1996. In July, the renovated ring of four were re-hung along with the two new bells   - all six being tuned into the major scale - the finished weights being:

Bell Cwt Qtrs Lbs
1 2 2 11
2 2 2 27
3 3 1 19
4 3 2 21
5 4 0 3
6 4 3 24

The inscriptions on the bells read:

  1. Donated by Ernest Amey, Bridport 1996
  2. John Atkinson - Rector, Jack Willy, John Epplestone - Churchwardens 1996
  3. Rr. F.T.H. Cws. S.G. J.S. - 1910
  4. Made by Thomas Purdue - recast by John Warner 1910
  5. Made by Thomas Purdue - crown staple replaced by Whitechapel 1996
  6. Recast by John Warner 1910